Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth, if desired)
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups cooked sweet potatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup milk
- Salt to taste
In a heavy saucepot, over medium-low heat, cook the flour and butter, stirring constantly until roux achieves a light caramel color. Add the broth and brown sugar, bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer. Stir in the sweet potatoes and spices, bring to a simmer once again and cook for 5 minutes more.
In a blender, puree the soup in batches and return to saucepot. Add the milk, and reheat soup. Season with salt and pepper, ladle into warm soup bowls and serve.
This recipe yields 4 servings.