Sweet And Sour Red Cabbage
- 1 medium shallot chopped
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 pounds red cabbage - (to 3 lbs) shredded (abt 10 cups)
- 1/2 cup red burgundy wine
- 1 1/4 cups balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
In a 12-inch skillet, saute the shallots and garlic in the butter over medium heat for 1 minute, until golden brown. Add the shredded cabbage. Add the wine to deglaze the pan, loosening any browned bits on the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
Stir in the vinegar and sugar. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring constantly to prevent the sugar from burning. Reduce the heat and simmer about 10 minutes, until the liquid is reduced by 3/4.
This recipe yields 8 servings.