Sweet Corn Tamale Cakes
This is close to the Cheesecake Factory version. We love these!
- SALSA VERDE
- 2 tomatillos, diced
- 4 ounces mild green chilies, drained and diced
- 1 green onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 1/4 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- FOR TOMATO SALSA
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced Spanish onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 small jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash ground black pepper
- FOR SOUTHWESTERN SAUCE
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon water
- 3/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch onion powder
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash garlic powder
- FOR CAKES
- 1 1/2 cups frozen sweet corn
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup corn masa harina flour (corn flour)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- FOR GARNISH
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
Prepare salsa verde by combining all prepared ingredients. Chill.
Prepare tomato salsa by combining all prepared ingredients. Chill.
Prepare southwestern sauce by combining all ingredients. Chill.
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Prepare the tamale cakes by chopping 1 cup of the frozen corn in a food processor until it's coarsely pureed. Combine pureed corn with softened butter, sugar, and salt. Blend well.
Add masa and flour and blend well. Mix in the remaining 1/2 cup of frozen corn kernels by hand.
Measure 1/2 cup portions of the mixture and form it into 3" wide patties with your hands. Arrange the patties on a baking sheet and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the cakes are browned on the bottom.
Carefully flip all cakes with a spatula and bake for an additional 5 to 7 minutes or until other side is browned.
Assembly: Place all three cakes on a warmed serving platter. Dollop each with one of the three sauces. Garnish with diced avocado, cilantro and a dollop of sour cream.