- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage casings removed
- 1/2 cup butter - (1 stick)
- 3 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage, 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 6 cups croutons
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 cups dried cherries
- 1 cup pecans toasted, chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock plus extra
- as needed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Sauté sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat until cooked through, crumbling sausage with the back of a spoon, about 10 minutes. Transfer sausage with a slotted spoon to a large bowl.
Discard sausage fat in pan. Add butter, onions, and celery to skillet and sauté until tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Add to sausage, along with herbs and croutons, mix to combine.
In a medium bowl, combine allspice, maple syrup, cherries, pecans and chicken stock. Add to crouton mixture. The mixture should be moist, but not soggy. Add more chicken stock if necessary. Transfer stuffing to a baking dish and cover with foil.
Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour. Uncover and bake for another 20 minutes, or until the top is golden.
This recipe yields a whole mess o stuffing (about 5 quarts).