Orange Yogurt Cake
- Unsalted butter, for baking pan
- 1 large navel orange, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of coarse salt
- 1/2 cup plain whole milk yogurt
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8-by-2-inch round cake pan; line with a parchment paper round and butter again.
2. Bring 4 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add orange and boil for 5 minutes. Drain, refill saucepan with 4 cups water and boil again. Add orange and boil for 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, sift together flour, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
4. Remove orange from boiling water and add remaining 1 cup granulated sugar to boiling water. Cook, stirring, until sugar is dissolved. Return orange to boiling water and cook, until orange is softened, about 5 minutes. Drain and transfer orange to the bowl of a food processor along with 1/4 cup yogurt, orange zest, egg, honey, and vanilla. Process until well combined.
5. Add flour mixture to bowl of food processor; process until combined. Transfer to prepared cake pan and bake until golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, whisk together lemon juice, confectioners' sugar, and remaining 1/4 cup of yogurt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Let boil until glaze is thickened, about 3 minutes.
7. Remove cake from oven and invert onto a wire rack set over parchment paper. Remove parchment paper round; pour glaze over cake. Let stand until glaze is absorbed. Serve cake with sliced baked apples.