- 6 dried Chinese mushrooms
- 3 tb peanut oil
- 1 tb sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely grated
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, finely grated
- 250 g (8 oz) pork, chopped finely
- 250 g (8 oz) raw prawns, de-veined and chopped
- 2 cups Chinese cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup giant white radish, shredded
- 12 water chestnuts, chopped
- 1 cup bamboo shoots, chopped
- 125 g (4 oz) bean sprouts
- 6 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 tb light soy sauce
- 1 tb oyster sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tsp cornflour
- 1 packet frozen spring roll wrappers
- oil for deep frying
1) Cover mushrooms with hot water and soak for 20 minutes. Remove stalks and chop mushrooms. Heat peanut and sesame oil in a wok and slowly fry garlic and ginger for a few seconds. Add pork, raise heat and stir fry until it changes colour. Add prawns and continue stirring and frying until they are cooked. Add prepared vegetables, soy sauce, oyster sauce and salt; combine thoroughly. Push mixture to one side and tilt wok so liquid gathers. Stir in cornflour, which has been mixed with a little cold water until smooth. Cook, stirring, until thick. Remove wok from heat and mix thickened liquid into filling. Allow to cool completely.
2)Put 2 tb of mixture at one end of spring roll wrapper and roll up, turning in the sides so that filling is completely enclosed. Dampen edges with water or a mixture of cornflour and water and press to seal.
3) Fry one or two at a time in deep hot oil until golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper and serve immediately with chili sauce if you like.