Grilled Salmon with Red-Wine Butter
- 2 Salmon fillets 6 oz each
- 1/2 stick salted butter softened for 1 hour at room temp
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 1/2 fresh thyme leaves
- 1 shallot minced
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- olive oil
1. Combine the shallot, wine, and balsamic vinegar ins a saucepan over medium-low heat and cook until the liquid is reduced by half, about 10 minutes.
2. Allow the wine reduction to cool, then add the butter, along with the thyme and a few pinches of fresh cracked pepper. Use a spatula to mic ingredients thoroughly, and then scoop the mixture onto a sheet of plastic wrap. Pool it up, twist the ends to form a log, and store ing the freezer while you cook the fish. (You can do the first two steps ahead of time. The wine butter will keep in the fridge for two weeks.)
3. Preheat a grill or grill pan on medium-high heat. Rub the salmon with olive oil, add salt and pepper to taste, and lay the fish ,skin side down, on the grill. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, flip, then cook for 2 to 3 minutes longer (for medium).
4. Serve hot salmon with slice of red-wine butter melted on top