Chocolate Whoopie Pies
This is pretty much like the original recipe, except it uses a box cake mix which is fine. The filling is authentic; however, there are perhaps healthier soft fillings to make not using as much Crisco.
- 1 chocolate cake mix
- 1/4 cup oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup dry instant chocolate pudding
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 2 egg whites
- 2 Tbsp. vanilla
- 4 tsp. flour
- 4 tsp. milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup Crisco
- Beat egg whites until stiff. Add vanilla, flour milk, and powdered sugar. Beat and cream, then add Crisco. Spread filling on bottom side of one cookie and top with another cookie.
- Alternate recipe for the Filling
- 8 ounces marshmallow fluff (half of a 16-ounce container)
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening (we used Crisco)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from afamilyfeast.com
Preheat oven to 350°. In a large, combine all the above ingredients and mix well. Drop dough unto an ungreased cookie sheet. To keep mounds of dough in nicely rounded shapes, use a #40 cookie scoop. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Make sure the cookies are baked very well. If they are under baked they will be hard to assemble in the next step.
Once the cake mounds have cooled completely, prepare the filling by combining the marshmallow fluff, confectioners' sugar, shortening and vanilla extract in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix until completely combined. Add milk as necessary to get to a soft (but not too soft consistency.) Approximately 1 tablespoon milk (to get filling to good consistency)
Layer assembled cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container and store in refrigerator. Or wrap each individual cookie in cling wrap before placing in the refrigerator or freezer. I prefer using cling wrap as this way each cookie is ready to grab and place in lunch boxes.