- Partially freeze the sausage, remove the casings and slice at a 45° angle.
- 1 Hot Italian sausage per person + one for the pan
- 1 small onion chopped,
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 cup (packed) fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds, crushed
- 1 14.5-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 28-ounce can chopped tomatoes
- maybe a can of tomato sauce to make it thicker to coat the pasta.
- Pasta or Spaghetti squash cooked according to directions
Brown the slices of sausage. Drain and place in a 3qt sauce pan. Cook the chopped onion and garlic in dregs. Place in the sauce pan.
Soak the fennel seeds in some wine. Dice with a knife, or crush with a wine bottle or muddle and add to the sauce along with the basil. Add the tomatoes to the pan and simmer. If there are any dregs stuck to the pan, ladle some of the sauce into frying pan to loosen and return it to the sauce pan. Season with ground pepper. Simmer until you just can’t wait any longer or until the pasta is ready. ~ make lots of pasta and freeze what you don’t use, for the next time.
Serve on Penne pasta or Linguine ~ or in a spaghetti squash. Garnish with basil leaves.
Salad and crusty bread. Pass Parmesan cheese in a bowl.
You can, fry some mushrooms in the frying pan and serve in a bowl at the table. That way it doesn’t become soggy from the sauce.
DO AHEAD: Can be made ahead. Cover; chill or freeze.