Duck Confit On Country Toast With Fig Chutney
- SALT MIXTURE:
- 8 duck legs
- 6 cups duck fat
- 1 loaf crusty Italian bread
- 1 cup salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- FIG CHUTNEY:
- 20 fresh figs cut in halves
- 1 1/2 cups red wine
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 tablespoons mascarpone cheese (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Place the duck legs in a shallow roasting pan, generously sprinkle with salt mixture (combine ingredients) and pour over enough duck fat to cover. Cook in a preheated 275 degree oven for about 2 1/2 hours or until the meat is fork tender. Remove the legs from the fat to cool. Strain the fat and save for other uses (it will last a couple of weeks in the refrigerator).
Slice the Italian bread into 1/2-inch thick slices. Sprinkle with some extra-virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. Toast in a 300 degree oven until golden.
For the Fig Chutney: Put all of the ingredients except the mascarpone cheese in a heavy-bottom saucepan over low heat and cook until most of the liquid is evaporated. Stir occasionally. Season to taste with salt and pepper
To serve, place fig chutney on a slice of the toasted Italian bread and top with a dollop of the mascarpone cheese. Serve the duck on the side. Or you might remove the bone from the leg, trying to keep the meat intact and serve it on top of the chutney. The duck legs will remain crisp if you prepare them the same day you will be serving them and keep them at room temperature for up to 3 hours.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.
You'll also love
- Crispy Polenta Cakes With Wild... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cranberry Ice-Cream Squares With... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Couscous And Cherry Tomato Salad... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Caramelized Figs With Lemon-Yogurt... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Turkey Burgers Filled With Brie... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Thai Beef Salad 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pastitsada - (Corfu-Style Pasta... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Veal Marsala 0/5 (0 Votes)