Bacon and Swiss Scones
- Yield: 6 servings
- 2 cups + 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Dash nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons cold butter, diced
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 2 eggs
- 4 ounces Swiss cheese, diced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 7 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water)
- 1 Recipes | 1 Cookbooks | Profile
- This recipe viewed 1 times
- Based on: Quiche Lorraine Scones by Jackie618
- Tags: egg, scones
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Prepare the bacon, onion and cheese. Toss these ingredients together with 1 teaspoon flour; set aside.
3. In a medium sized bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cayenne, nutmeg and salt. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or two knives until the butter is pea-size. With a fork, lightly beat the eggs and half-and-half and add to the flour mixture. Add the bacon, onion and cheese mixture. Using a wooden spoon, fold mixture until it begins to come together.
4. Turn out the dough onto a well-floured surface and knead gently for less than one minute. Pat dough to ¾ to 1-inch thick and cut using 3-inch biscuit cutter (for large scones) or cut into squares or triangles. Place the scones on the prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops of the scones with the egg wash.
5. Bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (871 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (811 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Sausage, Egg & Biscuit Casserole 4.5/5 (702 Votes)
- Crockpot Cheese Tortellini and... 4.5/5 (665 Votes)
- Bacon Cheddar Potato Cakes 4.5/5 (273 Votes)
- Bacon Breakfast Enchiladas 4.5/5 (227 Votes)
- Potato & Bacon Potato Salad 4.5/5 (218 Votes)