Cod Matelote is lovely fish stew that will warm you up and comfort you any time of the year. Serve this delicious steamy stew filled with all of the flavors of the sea with a crusty loaf of bread and a lightly dressed side salad. Filled with flavors of fresh mushrooms, zesty garlic, onion, bacon, cod, thyme, and allspice for a vibrantly flavored stew everyone will love.
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 cup whole mushrooms, quartered
- 1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 dash ground allspice
- 1 (8-ounce) bottle clam juice or 1 cup
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen cod fillets, partially thawed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen Italian-style green beans, thawed
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 55mins
In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp; drain, reserving drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside.
Cook mushrooms, onion, and garlic in bacon drippings until tender. Blend in flour, bouillon granules, thyme, black pepper, and allspice. Add clam juice and wine all at once. Add bay leaf. Cook and stir until bubbly. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 15 minutes.
Add fish and green beans; return to boiling. Cover and simmer 10 to 12 minutes or until fish flakes easily when test with a fork and green beans are tender.
Remove bay leaf. Stir in crumbled bacon.
Serve in individual soup bowls.