Chicken & Veggies in Marsala Sauce
If a classic hearty dish is what you're craving, then Chicken Marsala is the perfect meal for you! This recipe makes it super easy to customize it to your palette.
- 3 whole medium chicken breasts, skinned, boned, and halved lengthwise
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- 2 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 3 large carrots, cut into julienne strips
- 3 stalks celery, bias sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups fresh or frozen brussels sprouts, halved
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup Marsala or dry sherry
Place each chicken breast half between two pieces of clear plastic wrap. Pound with flat side of meat mallet to 1/2-inch thickness. Remove plastic. Halve each piece lengthwise.
In 12-inch skillet cook mushrooms and green onion in the first 2 tablespoons butter or margarine till just tender. Remove from skillet.
Meanwhile, place carrots, celery, and brussels sprouts in steamer basket over boiling water. Cover and steam for 10 minutes or till just tender. Keep warm.
In large skillet, cook half the chicken in the remaining 2 tablespoons butter or margarine over medium-high heat about 2 minutes on each side. Remove from skillet. Repeat with remaining chicken. (Add more butter or margarine, if necessary.)
To skillet drippings add chicken broth and Marsala or dry sherry. Bring to boiling; simmer, uncovered, till liquid is reduced to half the volume. Return chicken and the mushroom mixture to skillet. Heat through.
Arrange steamed vegetables and the chicken on a serving platter. Spoon mushroom mixture and sauce atop the chicken. Serve immediately.
Originally published in Better Homes and Gardens Creative Ideas. Country Cooking (1983/84)