Bass With Mushrooms
- 3 TBS unsalted butter
- 5 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 10 ozs white mushrooms, trimmed and quartered
- 4 6-oz skin-on striped bass fillets (about 1" thick)
- 2 TBS extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- chopped fresh parsley or chives
1. Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and thyme and cook until the shallots are translucent about 7 minutes; season with salt/pepper. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until brown and tender, about 8 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, season the fish with salt/pepper. Heat the oil in another large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the fish,, skin side down and cook until the skin is crisp, 3-4 minutes; transfer to a plate. Add the wine to the skillet and scrape up any browned bits with a wooden spoon. Boil over high heat until syrupy, 2-3 minutes. Add the cream and simmer to thicken slightly, 2-3 minutes. Season with salt/pepper.
3. Pour the cream sauce over the mushrooms in the skillet, then add the fish, skin-side up. Simmer until the fish is just firm and translucent, 5-7 minutes. Garnish with parsley, if desired.