Mediterranean Meat Loaf
- 1/4 cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed, or 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds 95 percent lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese (2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup oil-packed dried tomatoes, drained and snipped
- 1/4 cup bottled pizza or pasta sauce
- Romaine leaves, julienne carrots, and cucumber slices (optional)
- Red wine vinaigrette (optional)
Adapted from bhg.com
In a large bowl combine egg product and milk; beat with a fork. Stir in bread crumbs, oregano, pepper, and garlic. Add ground beef, feta cheese, and dried tomatoes; mix well. Shape meat mixture into a 6-inch round loaf.
Tear off an 18-inch-square sheet of heavy foil. Cut into thirds. Fold each piece into thirds lengthwise. Crisscross strips and place meat loaf in center of foil strips. Bringing up strips, transfer loaf and foil to a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker (leave foil strips under loaf). Press loaf away from side of cooker. Fold strips down, leaving loaf exposed. Spread pizza sauce over loaf.
Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
Using foil strips, carefully lift meat loaf from cooker. Discard foil strips. If desired, combine romaine, carrots, and cucumbers; top with vinaigrette. Serve salad with meat loaf.