Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, peeled, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 pound cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon favorite all-purpose seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cumin, optional
- 2 cans (14.5 oz. each)no-salt added tomatoes
- 6 cups homemade chicken stock
- 8 corn tortillas, cut into strips
- salt and ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded Mexican-blend cheese
In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the garlic and saute 1 minute or until fragrant; do not allow the garlic to brown. Add the onion and saute until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the cooked chicken and sprinkle it with the chili powder, all-purpose seasoning and cumin. Stir and cook 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and the stock or broth. Bring just to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place the tortillas strips on a baking sheet with sides and drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Place in the oven and bake 10-12 minutes or until the strips are crisp. Remove from the oven.
Taste and adjust seasonings for the soup if needed. Ladle into bowls and serve topped with the tortilla strips and a sprinkling of shredded cheese.
Per one cup: 162 calories, 8 grams fat (3 grams sat. fat), 7 grams carbohydrates, 17 grams protein, 217 mg sodium, 35 mg cholesterol, 1 gram fiber.