CHICKEN SCARPARIELLO WITH CHERRY PEPPERS
- 4 chicken thighs, with bones and skin (about 1 & 3/4 lbs)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil- divided
- 1 lb of sweet Italian sausage (about 4 links)
- 6 fresh cherry peppers (or 4 pickled cherry peppers)
- 1 sweet bell pepper sliced (red, yellow, or orange)
- 8 oz sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1 red onion, quartered and sliced
- 2 Tbs minced garlic (about 4 cloves)
- 2 cups grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 white wine (or chicken broth for Whole-30)
- 1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black ground pepper
- fresh basil and fresh parsley for garnish
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Cut the sausage links into 1” pieces. Add 1 Tbs of olive oil to a dutch oven and brown the sausage pieces over medium heat, they do not need to be cooked all the way through. Remove the browned sausage to a plate and reserve.
Meanwhile, wash and pat the chicken thighs dry. I had two small thighs and two large thighs so I cut the two larger thighs in half. I wanted the chicken pieces to be similar in size for even cooking.
Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Add another Tbs of olive oil to the dutch oven. Brown the chicken on the fronts and backs, 3 minutes per side, beginning with the skin side first, they do not need to be cooked all the way through. Remove the browned chicken thighs to the sausage plate and reserve.
Drain off the grease, and then return 1 Tbs of drippings to the pan. Saute the mushrooms until they lose most of their moisture and begin to brown, about 4 minutes.
Meanwhile, seed and slice the peppers. Halve the red onion, then slice it into semicircles, and then halve the slices, producing sliced onion quarters.
Add the sliced cherry peppers, bell pepper, and red onion to the pan and sauté until they begin to soften, about 4 minutes.
Add minced garlic and sauté until it becomes fragrant, about 1 & ½ minutes.
Add the chicken broth, white wine, balsamic vinegar, dried oregano, ½ tsp fine grain sea salt, ¼ tsp black ground pepper, and grape tomatoes. Stir well.
Nest the browned sausage pieces and the chicken thighs (skin-side-up) on top of the vegetables.
Turn off the burner and transfer the dutch oven to the middle rack of a 400 degree oven.
Bake uncovered for 30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and juices run clear when the chicken flesh is pierced.
Garnish with chopped fresh basil and parsley.