Pilaf with wild rice
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 TB fresh thyme, sage or rosemary, chopped
- 1 TB olive oil
- 2 small carrots, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup wild rice, washed and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups brown basmati rice or other long-grain rice, washed and rinsed
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or other dried fruit
- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
In a heavy bottomed 4 quart saucepan over medium-high heat, saute onion and thyme in olive oil until soft but not browned, about 5 minutes. Add carrots and celery and saute until softened. Add stock, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, and add washed rices. Return to a boil, then lower heat to low and simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed, 45-50 minutes.
Add cranberries. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Serve hot with pecans on top.