Inside Out Lasagna
- 8 ounces whole-wheat rotini or fusilli
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves cloves garlic, sliced
- 8 ounces sliced white mushrooms (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes with Italian herbs
- 8 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- 3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta; cook until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until soft and beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until the mushrooms release their liquid, 4 to 6 minutes.
Add tomatoes, spinach and crushed red pepper (if using). Increase heat to medium-high; cook, stirring once halfway through, until the spinach is wilted, about 4 minutes.
Toss the sauce with the pasta and divide among 4 bowls. Dollop each serving with 3 tablespoons of ricotta.
Per serving: 364 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 14 mg cholesterol; 16 g protein; 7 g fiber; 588 mg sodium; 786 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (90% daily value), Vitamin C (50% dv), Folate (25% dv), Potassium (22% dv), Calcium (21% dv), Iron (20% dv).