Its time I start putting my zucchinis to good use. I already had 4 on my counter and several more still in the garden that I don’t want to go to waste. A friend of mine suggested grate them all and freeze them in 1 cup portions. Brilliant, thanks Leanne! With that brilliant thought I figured I might as well do a little baking in the mean time and of course my kids are brownie addicts so here we are with the most moist, fudge like squares that are gluten free, dairy free and lower in carbs than regular brownies.
My son has been sleeping in late over most of the summer. Yes I get it, he is a teenager but still there is more to life than sleeping till 1:00pm! I roused him from his beauty sleep and he willingly helped me whip up a batch of these brownies. He knew he could lick the bowl and get first dibs on a warm square of chocolate yumminess. Considering there is zucchini in the mix I was actually surprised he liked them as much as he did. Normally if it doesn’t contain Pringles, Kraft Dinner or Nutella he doesn’t want it. Win win situation if you ask me.
Now before you go and mix up a batch lets talk zucchinis. Zucchini is easily grown in backyard gardens. Summer squash such as zucchini is 95 percent water, making it naturally low in calories and a good choice if you are trying to lose weight. A medium zucchini, for example, contains just 33 calories. It supplies a gram of protein and less than a gram of fat. The same size zucchini contains 6 grams of carbohydrates, 2 grams of which are dietary fiber. That makes zucchini a low-glycemic food that will not spike your blood sugar, but will instead provide a steady source of glucose to your system.
3.8g net carbs, 1.4g protein and 2 Weight Watchers points per brownie.
- 1/2 cup zucchini seeded and shredded
- 1/3 cup applesauce unsweetened
- 1 cup, plus 2 tbsp water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp flaxmeal
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda 3/4 cup xylitol or sugar of choice (150g) 1/16 tsp pure stevia extract, or 2 extra tbsp sugar 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips, optional
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup xylitol or sugar of choice
- 1 pkg stevia
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips semi-sweet
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from not-too-sweet.com
For the complete recipe please visit http://www.not-too-sweet.com/zucchini-brownies/
You'll also love
- Creole Pork Chops & Cornbread... 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Tagliatelle with Artichokes and... 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Nectarine Tart 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Green Bean Potato Casserole 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Butternut Squash with Wilted... 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Pumpkin Raisin Cookies 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Pineapple Zucchini Cake (without)... 4.6/5 (7 Votes)