Butternut Squash Bisque with Seared Scallops
- serves 8
- 3 ounces pancetta, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Baker’s Sprinkles (or 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice)
- 8 large sea scallops, washed and dried thoroughly
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 handful fresh sage, minced
- large pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 cup dry white wine or champagne
- 16 ounces clam juice
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 8 cups butternut squash, cut into 1″ cubes
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, warmed
- salt and pepper
- maple syrup
- fresh sage
Cook pancetta in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium high heat until crisp, about 8 minutes. Drain on paper towels and reserve drippings. Set pancetta aside.
Combine 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon black pepper and Baker’s Sprinkles and place in a shallow dish or plate. Dip both sides of scallops in spice mixture. Heat pan with pancetta drippings (about 1 tablespoon) to high heat. (if there is not enough pancetta drippings supplement with a bacon drippings or olive oil)
When pan is very hot, sear scallops just to form a crust of the spice mixture on the surface, about 1-2 minutes per side. Remove scallops to a paper towel lined plate and set aside.
Sweat onion, garlic, sage and pepper flakes in same pan scallops were seared in. Medium heat, about 5 minutes, just till softened. Deglaze pan with wine, stirring to scrape up spices and browned bits. Simmer until nearly evaporated. Add clam juice, broth and squash. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and partially cover. Simmer until squash is tender, about 20 minutes. Puree soup, using a stick blender or in batches in a blender, until smooth. Return to pot. Finish soup with warmed cream and season to taste with salt and pepper. When serving, top each bowl with one scallop and garnish with pancetta, a drizzle of maple syrup and fresh sage.