Autumn Spice Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Cinnamon, spice, and everything nice! That's what this delicious cake with cream cheese frosting is made of!
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 3/4 cups light-brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup pecans, chopped (optional)
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 (12-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 55mins
Adapted from cookingclassy.com
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray two 9-inch round baking pans well with non-stick baking spray then lightly dust with flour and shake out excess. Wrap cake strips around pan if you have them (for a more level cake). Set pans aside.
In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice and cloves for 20 seconds, set aside.
Pour brown sugar into the bowl of an electric stand mixer. Break up brown sugar with fingertips until no clumps remain. Pour in vegetable oil and applesauce, set mixer with paddle attachment and blend until well combined (I recommend a paddle attachment that constantly scrapes bowl, otherwise stop mixer throughout entire mixing process and scrape down sides and bottom of bowl). Mix in eggs and vanilla. Add in 1/2 of the flour mixture and mix on low speed until combined, then blend in buttermilk, then add remaining 1/2 of the flour mixture and mix until well combined.
Divide mixture evenly among two prepared baking pans. Bake in preheated oven until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 28 to 32 minutes. Allow to cool several minutes then run a knife around edges to ensure cake is loose and invert upside down onto a wire rack to cool (this will also help deflate those domes a little if you didn't use cake strips). Cool completely then level tops of cakes as needed. Frost with cream cheese frosting, sprinkle pecans around edges if desired.
In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment cream butter and cream cheese until smooth. Mix in powdered sugar and vanilla and mix until well blended (at this point I like to freeze the frosting in 5 minute increments, then mix again with stand mixer, then freeze another 5 and more as needed until it's a stiffer yet creamy consistency).
You'll also love
- Easy Spanish Rice 4.3/5 (22 Votes)
- Easy German Stollen 4.3/5 (21 Votes)
- Easy Cranberry & Apple Cake (Ina... 4.2/5 (25 Votes)
- Cocoa Ribbon Pound Cake 4.1/5 (20 Votes)
- Orange Cream Bundt Cake 2.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Paleo Spice Cake with Maple-Cashew... 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- Almond Flour Pound Cake 4.1/5 (15 Votes)