Beef Stroganoff Casserole
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and black pepper
- 1 pound sirloin or beef tips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 10 - ounce package cremini mushrooms, cleaned, trimmed and sliced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 14 1/2 - ounce can beef broth
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry (optional)
- 1 12 - ounce bag egg noodles
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup french-fried onions
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Bring a large pot of salted water to boiling. Coat a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season steak with 1/4 tsp each of the salt and pepper. Add steak to skillet in single layer. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, turning once. Remove to a plate.
Reduce heat to medium and add onion. Cook 3 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and saute 5 minutes. Add remaining 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper. Sprinkle with flour. Cook 1 minute. Whisk in broth. Bring to a simmer and add sherry, if using. Simmer 3 minutes.
Cook noodles in boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain. Remove sauce from heat and slowly stir in meat and sour cream. Add noodles and spoon into prepared dish. Cover with foil; bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes. Uncover and top with fried onions.