100% Whole Wheat Zucchini Chocolate Chip Bread
From KAF...Facing a zucchini surplus? This moist, dense bread, with its mild hint of cinnamon, offers a sweet surprise: chocolate chips. Never thought of adding chocolate chips to zucchini bread? Give it a try.
MY NOTE: Sprinkle top with coarse sugar before baking.
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup molasses or honey
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour or Premium Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups shredded, unpeeled zucchini (about 1 small/medium zucchini)
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts, optional
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F; lightly grease a 9" x 5" loaf pan.
2) In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, molasses or honey, oil, sugar, and vanilla until smooth.
3) Add the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon, mixing until well combined.
4) Stir in the zucchini, chocolate chips, and nuts.
5) Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
6) Bake the bread for 55 to 60 minutes, until the loaf tests done (a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center will come out clean, save for perhaps a smear of chocolate).
7) Remove the bread from the oven, and let it cool for 10 to 15 minutes before turning it out of the pan onto a rack.
8) Cool completely before slicing; store well-wrapped, at room temperature.