William Tell's Never-Miss Apple Cake Recipe
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- PRALINE ICING:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth; beat in egg.
2. For cake, in a large bowl, beat sugar, oil and eggs until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and baking soda; gradually beat into sugar mixture. Stir in apples, carrots and pecans.
3. Transfer half of the batter to prepared pan; layer with cream cheese mixture, then remaining batter. Bake 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in cake portion comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
4. For icing, in a large saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter and milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat; whisk in confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Drizzle over cake. Sprinkle with pecans.