Tacos: Lettuce ‘tacos’ with chipotle chicken
- 00 g of skinless chicken breast cut into fairly thin strips
- splash of olive oil to fry these in
- 1 x red onion finely sliced
- 1 x 400g tin of tomatoes (whole or chopped)
- 1 T of finely chopped chipotle in adobo sauce (or substitute with finely chopped pickled jalapeno chillis and a pinch of dried chilli flakes)
- 1/2 t cumin
- pinch of brown sugar and salt and pepper to season
- lettuce leaves to make your tacos (I like to use butter lettuce or baby gem lettuce)
- fresh coriander leaves
- sliced pickled jalapeno chillies
- slices of avocado or make a guacamole
- fresh tomatoes and slices of spring onion to make a rustic salsa – as much as you need. I used about 2 cups of quartered rosa / cherry tomatoes and sliced red spring onions / scallions. I tossed these together with lots of salt and pepper.
- lime wedges to spritz
Heat the olive oil in a non-stick frying pan and quickly fry your chicken pieces until they turn golden. Set aside.
In the same pan, add another small splash of olive oil and fry your onion until it softens. Add your tomatoes, cumin, sugar and chipotle and simmer for around 15 – 25 minutes until the tomato sauce starts to thicken around the edges of the pan.
Add the chicken back into the sauce and allow to cook for about 5 minutes.
Assemble all the elements to make your tacos in separate bowls and serve so that every one can make up their own. I like to give the chicken a good spritz of lime juice. This freshens things up and amplifies the flavours.
You'll also love
- No Added Sugar Lemon Cream Cake 4.5/5 (20 Votes)
- Bacony Peas 4.5/5 (20 Votes)
- Farfalle With Sausage, Tomatoes,... 4.5/5 (20 Votes)
- Beef Tenderloin Filets with... 4.5/5 (20 Votes)
- Savory Bread Pudding with Spinach... 4.5/5 (20 Votes)
- Spaghetti with Kale 4.3/5 (34 Votes)
- Paleo Lettuce Wraps 4.7/5 (6 Votes)