- The best dinner rolls (from scratch)
- Soft, tender and warm, straight out of the oven these are the best dinner rolls!
- 1/2 cup (60 grams) allpurpose flour
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 1/4 cups (390 grams) allpurpose flour
- 4 tbsp melted and cooled butter
- 2 tbsp salted butter (for brushing the rolls, optional)
1. In the bowl of your standup mixer , add 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup lukewarm water and the dry
yeast. Mix to combine and leave at room temperature until bubbly and has a spongelike
2. In a separate bowl whisk the eggs with the yogurt, salt, sugar and the remaining 1/4 cup water.
3. Fit your standup mixer with the dough hook and turn it on to the lowest speed.
4. With the mixer running, add the wet ingredients to the yeast mixture. It's going to be a very
5. Gently, on the lowest speed, add the 3 1/4 cups of flour, little by little.
6. When all the flour is added pour the 4 tbsp of melted butter and slowly increase the mixer'
speed from low to high.
7. Keep mixing for 23 minutes and turn the mixer off. With a wooden spoon or a spatula, clean
the sides of the bowl, scraping down the sticky dough.
8. Turn the mixer back on and mix on mediumtohigh for another 23 minutes or until the dough
will start to clean itself from the sides of the bowl. It's still going to be little sticky, don't be
tempted to add flour.
9. With the help of a spatula/wooden spoon put the dough into a clean buttered bowl, cover with
plastic wrap and leave at room temperature for about 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in volume.
10. Punch down the dough and, with floured hands, take the dough out of the bowl and place it on a
11. Now divide the dough into 20 pieces, shaping each one into a ball. Place them on baking sheet
(at this point you can wrap tightly in plastic and freeze for future use) cover again with plastic
wrap or a tea towel and leave at room temperature for another 3040 minutes.
12. Meanwhile, heat the oven to 375F.
13. Bake the rolls for about 20 minutes or until golden.
14. As soon as you take them out of the oven brush them with the salted butter.