Pork and Green Chile Casserole
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless pork, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chiles
- 1 cup quick-cooking brown rice
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 to 3 tablespoons salsa
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Sliced jalapeno pepper, optional
Adapted from tasteofhome.com
Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, brown pork in oil; drain. Stir in the beans, soup, tomatoes, chiles, rice, water, salsa and cumin.
Pour into an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, until bubbly, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese; let stand 5 minutes before serving. Freeze option: Sprinkle cheese over cooled unbaked casserole. Cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°. If desired, serve with jalapeno slices.
1 serving: 390 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 814mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 6g fiber), 32g protein.