spicy miso soup
- Fresh ramen noodles (for two people)
- 4 cups water
- 4 tablespoons white miso paste
- 3-4 teaspoons S&B La Yu or chili oil
- 1/2 teaspoon hondashi
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- 1/2 can corn kernels (15 oz can)
- 1 narutomaki (Japanese fish cake with a pink swirl)
- 1 stalk scallion (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds (pound with mortar and pestle until fine)
- Light soy sauce to taste (optional)
- Some seasoned roasted seaweed (cut into thin strips)
Bring the water to boil and then add in the miso paste, hondashi, eggs, and finely ground sesame seeds. Bring the soup base to boil and reduce to 3.5 cups. Add in the chili oil and light soy sauce to taste (optional).
Blanch the ramen noodles in a pot of boiling water until they are cooked. Rinse with cold running water, drain, and set aside.
In a serving bowl, add the noodles and then topped with the hard-boiled egg (sliced into half), narutomaki, corn kernels and chopped scallion. Pour the miso soup into the bowl and add the roasted seaweeds. Serve immediately.