Cracker Barrel Copycat Hash Brown Casserole
- 8 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, divided
- 4 Tbsp all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 (26 oz) package frozen shredded hash browns
- 1 (8 oz) package shredded colby cheese
Adapted from communitytable.parade.com
Preheat oven to 375 °F.
In medium sized saucepan, over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Once butter is melted add 2 tablespoons flour and all seasonings. Whisk to create a paste. Add milk, whisking as you pour. Whisk until completely combined.
In a quart sized mason jar combine 2 tablespoons flour and chicken broth. Seal tightly and shake the living tar out of your mixture. You will create a smooth flour mixture for thickening your sauce called a slurry.
Slowly pour slurry into mixture, whisking constantly. Bring to a boil and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
Pour soup into 9x13 casserole dish. Add remaining 6 tablespoons butter and onions. Stir until butter is melted. This will also start to cool your soup. Add cheese and frozen hash browns. Mix well with a spoon.
Bake 25 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Serve and enjoy!