Puny's Potato Salad
This recipe is from a character in a book named Puny, of the Mitford Series by Jan Karon. Not only are the books good, this recipe is the best potato salad I've ever had! Hope you enjoy it too!
- 7 med russet potatoes
- 1 TBLS plus 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 TBLS bacon drippings
- 4 Med hard boiled eggs, mashed
- 2 TBLS red onion, chopped
- 1/2 C thinly cut celery
- 1 3/4 C Hellmann's mayonnaise
- 2 tsp yellow mustard
- 2 TBLS sour cream
- 2 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, fresh ground
- 6 slices cooked bacon, crumbled (reserve drippings)
- Parsley flakes and paprika for garnish
Cooking time 60mins
Peel and cube the potatoes.
Place the potatoes in a large saucepan, add water to cover along with 1 TBL of salt.
Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat, cover and simmer until the potatoes are tender.
Drain in a colander.
Add the bacon drippings and shake the colander to coat the potatoes.
Loosely cover the colander and let the potatoes cool completely.
In a large bowl whisk together mayo, mustard, sour cream and vinegar. Add potatoes, eggs, onion and celery. Add 1 1/4 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper.
Just before serving adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper.
Garnish with crumbled bacon, parsley flakes and paprika.