Butternut Squash Soup
- OPTIONAL GARNISH:
- 1 medium butternut squash peeled, seeded, and cut into medium-sized pieces
- 2 tart green apples peeled, cored, and cubed
- 1 medium onion
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary wrapped in cheese
- 1 sprig fresh marjoram wrapped in cheese
- cloth (or 1/4 tspn each dried)
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream plus
- some for garnish
- Rosemary sprig and/or chopped walnuts
Combine all ingredients except heavy cream in a large pot over medium high heat until it starts to become active, then reduce heat and simmer covered for approximately 45 minutes.
When everything is soft and easily broken down, add the heavy cream. Puree further in food processor or blender. May need to be reheated.
This soup is great hot or cold. Serve with a decorative swizzle of heavy cream and optional garnish of fresh rosemary sprig and/or chopped walnuts.
This recipe yields ?? servings.