- 2 tbsp light olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 4 (3oz) corn tortillas, chopped (about 3/4 cup chopped)
- 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 14 ounce can of diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 cups water plus 1 tbsp Better Than Bouillon Superior Touch Chicken Soup Base *OR* 3 cups of reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp carrot baby food
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp mild chili powder blend such as Gebhardt or Bolner’s Fiesta
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp cayenne (optional, I never use)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded chicken breast (use more or less)
- Black pepper and salt to taste (if necessary)
- Garnish: avocados, shredded cheese, chopped tomatoes
In a Dutch oven or large pot, heat the oil over medium for about 40 seconds. Add the onions and tortillas and sauté for 3-5 minutes.
Add the garlic and sauté for another 2 minutes, scraping bottom of pot with a spoon.
Add the tomatoes and 1 cup of the water or broth. Scrape bottom of pot. If using soup base, add the soup base and stir until it is dissolved. Stir in remaining 2 cups water (or broth).
Continue heating over medium or just below a boil, then add the carrot baby food, cumin, chili powder, honey and the bay leaf. Increase heat slightly and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and let simmer for 30 minutes. Uncover and simmer, stirring often, for about 20-30 minutes or until soup is thick. Add salt and black pepper to taste. About 5 minutes before serving, add the chicken. Alternatively, you can put a big stack of chicken in a bowl, top it with avocados and cheese, then pour the soup around it. Remove the by leaf before serving.