Bouillabaisse At Castle Moffett
- 4 cups cubed country bread
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons saffron threads soaked in
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 pounds white fish (such as halibut, monkfish, grouper, cod)
- 2 lobsters - (1 lb ea) cut into pieces
- 1 pound shrimp
- 6 ounces scallops
- 1 pound mussels
- 4 ounces calamari
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron - (to 1) soaked in
- 1/8 cup hot water
- 6 ounces leeks chopped
- 6 ounces garlic finely chopped
- 6 ounces onion chopped
- 2 carrots finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks finely chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes - (28 oz) (add 1/4 tspn baking soda if tomatoes are too tart)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 bouquet garni (2 bay leaves, 1 tarragon sprig, 4 thyme sprigs, 2 whole cloves, and 6 peppercorns)
- 4 ounces olive oil - (to 6)
- Salt to taste
- 3 quarts fish stock
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 lemon juice and zest
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/4 cup Pernod
- 1/4 cup finely-chopped parsley
For the Rouille: In a bowl, soak the bread in the wine for 5 minutes. In a small dish, soak the saffron in 1 tablespoon hot water for 5 minutes.
In a food processor, puree together bread/wine mixture, saffron/water mixture, mayonnaise, garlic, salt and hot pepper flakes until smooth. With machine running, pour in the oil in a thin steady stream until creamy. Refrigerate.
For the Bouillabaisse: Clean and chunk the fish. Marinate it into a large stainless steel bowl and add 1/4 of each: onions, leeks, garlic; all of the tomatoes, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, bouquet garni and 2 ounces of the olive oil. Cover and refrigerate for at least 5 hours or preferably overnight.
Heat remaining olive oil in a large Dutch oven and sautee leeks, onions, carrots and celery for 5 minutes. Add garlic and saute for a few minutes but do not let garlic turn brown. Add wine, orange zest, fish marinate (not the fish) salt (may be omitted) and fish stock.
Bring to a simmer for 15 minutes over a medium heat and skim if necessary. Add the saffron. Add the fish, lobster, mussels. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until the seafood is almost done.
Add the shrimp, scallops, callamari, lemon juice and zest and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until all the seafood is done. Heat Pernod briefly, ignite, and pour over the bouillabaisse.
Assembly: Divide the bouillabaisse among the bowls and top with a dollop of rouille. Serve with toasted bread rounds.
This recipe yields ?? servings.