CHEESY MUSHROOM POTATO CASSEROLE
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1 pound assorted mushrooms, scrubbed clean and roughly chopped
- 1 (10.75 oz.) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh sage leaves, chopped
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 375º F and lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with butter or non-stick spray.
Heat butter and olive oil in a large pan or skillet and saute mushrooms and shallots until softened and tender. 3-5 minutes.
Add minced garlic, thyme and sage, season with salt and pepper, and cook for another 1 minute, or until fragrant.
Pour in white wine and cook for another 3 minutes, or until liquid has mostly evaporated.
Remove from heat and set aside.
Arrange 1 layer of potato slices on the bottom, then add a layer of sauteed mushrooms.
Repeat with remaining vegetable layers.
In a small bowl, whisk the chicken stock into the cream of mushroom soup, then pour mixture over the mushrooms and potatoes, tapping the baking dish against the counter to make sure the liquid gets in between the vegetables.
Sprinkle the cheeses over the top, cover with aluminum foil and place baking dish in oven.
Bake for 40 minutes, then uncover and bake for another 20 minutes.
Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes before serving.