One Pot Wonder Southwest Pasta
- 1 13.5 oz. box of whole wheat rotini (or any pasta you like)
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 medium green bell pepper cut into thin strips
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 15 oz. can Rotel canned tomatoes and chilies (I used the Mexican blend with lime and cilantro)
- 1/4 cup taco seasoning (I used Old El Paso, medium)
- 1 tsp. salt (if the taco seasoning you use contains a lot of salt, you may want to reduce this)
- 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups fat-free chicken (or vegetable) broth
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup Mexican cheese blend, plus more for topping (Optional)
1. Add all but the last 2 ingredients (beans and cheese) to a large pot. Stir, cover, and bring to a rolling boil.
2. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, covered, for 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. There should be ¼ to ½ inch of liquid in the bottom of the pot when it is done.
3. Remove from heat. Stir in the black beans and cheese (optional). Let it rest for 5 minutes to warm the beans, melt the cheese, and absorb the excess liquid.