Old-Fashioned Chicken and Dumplings
Nutritional Info (Per serving):
Calories: 463, Saturated Fat: 3g, Sodium: 629mg, Dietary Fiber: 6g, Total Fat: 15g, Carbs: 45g, Cholesterol: 91mg, Protein: 34g
Carb Choices: 2.5
- 1 3/4 pounds chicken, thighs, boneless, skinless, trimmed and cut into 1.5 inch pieces 2/3 cup(s) flour, all-purpose 2 tablespoon oil, canola, divided 2 large carrot(s), diced 2 stalk(s) celery, diced
Adapted from everydayhealth.com
1. Toss chicken with 2/3 cup all-purpose flour in a medium bowl until coated. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Reserving the remaining flour, add the chicken to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
2. Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pot. Stir in carrots, celery, onion, 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Sprinkle the reserved flour over the vegetables; stir to coat. Stir in broth, water, peas and the reserved chicken. Bring to a simmer, stirring often.
3. To prepare dumplings: Meanwhile, stir whole-wheat flour, 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning, baking soda and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Stir in buttermilk.
4. Drop the dough, 1 tablespoon at a time, over the simmering chicken stew, making about 18 dumplings. Adjust heat to maintain a gentle simmer, cover and cook undisturbed until the dumplings are puffed, the vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
*Tip: No buttermilk? You can use buttermilk powder prepared according to package directions. Or make “sour milk”: mix 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar to 1 cup milk.