Double Coconut Cake*****
Cathy made this cake for my birthday in 2009, thanks Cathy, I loved it!
- 2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (14 ounce) can light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup sweetened flaked coconut, divided
- Fluffy Coconut Frosting
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 dash salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. Coat 2 (9 inch) round cake pans with cooking spray, dust with 1 tablespoon flour.
2. Combine 2 1/4 cups flour, baking powder,and salt, stirring with a whisk.
3. Place sugar and butter in a large bowl, beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (for about 5 minutes).
4. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
5. Add flour mixture and milk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
6. Stir in vanilla.
7. Pour batter into prepared pans.
8. Sharply tap the pans once on countertop to remove air bubbles.
9. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
10. Cool in pans 10 minutes on wire racks, and remove from pans.
11. Cool completely on wire racks.
12. Place 1 cake layer on a plate, spread with 1 cup fluffy coconut frosting.
13. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup coconut.
14. Top with remaining cake layer, spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake.
15. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup coconut over top of cake.
16. Store cake loosely covered in refrigerator.
Fluffy coconut Frosting:
1. Place egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt in a large bowl, beat with a mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form.
2. Combine sugar and water in a saucepan, bring to a boil.
3. Cook, without stirring, until candy thermometer registers 238 degrees.
4. Pour hot sugar syrup in a thin steam over egg whites, beating at high speed.
5. Stir in extracts.