Decadent Chocolate Cream, Brownie & Berry Trifle
There are three components to this dessert: brownies, chocolate whipped cream and fresh seasonal berries (whatever is ripest and in season). The brownie recipe is straightforward, the whipped cream is pretty easy to make, and the fruit doesn’t require any preparation other than a rinse under cold water. So, all in all, it is an easy dessert to make. The trifle looks best in a clear straight sided bowl that has some depth to it. Or, layer the components in a wine glass to serve individually. Clear because you want to see the different layers of brownie, fruit and cream.
- Traditional Brownies:
- 4 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 pound butter
- 2 cups of sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- Chocolate Whipped Cream:
- 8 oz bittersweet chocolate
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1- 2 lbs of seasonal berries such as strawberry, blackberry, raspberry, blueberry, the greater the variety the better, half strawberries if necessary
1) For the brownies melt the chocolate and the butter in a heat proof mixing bowl on top of a double boiler. Stir continually until incorporated, remove from the heat.
2) Add the eggs, sugar and vanilla extract and mix thoroughly, next fold in the flour.
3) Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven, on a greased baking tray for 20-25 minutes until firm.
4) For the whipped cream, cut the bittersweet chocolate into small pieces and reserve in a bowl. Heat the cream and sugar in a pot, careful not to scald. When the cream is hot, pour the contents over the chocolate and let sit for a minute. Stir the mixture until the chocolate and cream have incorporated. Refrigerate until cold, at least four hours, preferably overnight. Chilled mixture should be thick.
5) Beat the chilled chocolate and cream mixture in a mixer or by hand w/ a whip until it forms a soft peak.
6) To assemble the trifle, alternate layers of brownie pieces, berries and whipped cream. Alternate different colors to create a visually impressive dessert. Pipe the whipped cream w/ a pastry bag if you are making individual trifles in wine glasses.