Chili Cornbread Casserole
Here’s a fun way to serve chili and cornbread together. This dish is easy to make and is a real crowd pleaser with a layer of melted cheese in the middle.
- 3 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound 95% lean ground beef
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (Optional)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 1/4 cups cornmeal
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cups low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from cooking.com
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and cook until beginning to soften, about 4 minutes.
Add bell pepper and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Add beef and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until browned, 4 to 5 minutes.
Stir in beans, tomatoes and their juice, chili powder, cumin, paprika and cayenne (if using). Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook until slightly thickened, about 20 minutes. Set aside.
Coat a 9 by13 inch (or similar 3 quart) baking dish with cooking spray.
Whisk cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
Whisk egg, milk and remaining 2 tablespoons oil in medium bowl.
Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients along with cilantro and stir until just combined.
Pour chili into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with shredded cheese.
Spread the cornbread batter evenly over the chili and cheese.
Bake until the top springs back when touched lightly, 20 to 25 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
You'll also love
- Creamy Chicken Enchilada Soup 4.6/5 (45 Votes)
- Broken Glass Cupcakes 4.2/5 (70 Votes)
- Cheesecake Factory Meatloaf 4/5 (113 Votes)
- Cherry Cheesecake Dip 4.5/5 (52 Votes)
- Stuffed Cabbage Casserole 4.4/5 (52 Votes)
- Bacon Asparagus Pastry Twists 5/5 (8 Votes)
- Zesty Ritz Crackers 4/5 (86 Votes)
- Campbell's® Cheesy Chicken and... 3.9/5 (106 Votes)