Mother's Ham Casserole
Just like Mother used to make. Potatoes, carrot, celery, ham, green pepper, onion, bread crumbs, cheese, and lots of butter bake together into a tasty casserole.
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups ham, cooked and diced
- 2 tablespoons green pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons onion, finely chopped
- 7 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded, about 4 ounces
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
Preparation time 35mins
Cooking time 60mins
In a saucepan, bring the potatoes, carrot, celery and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook about 15 minutes or until tender. Drain.
In a large skillet, sauté the ham, green pepper and onion in 3 tablespoons butter until tender. Add to the potato mixture. Transfer to a greased 1 1/2-quart baking dish.
In a large saucepan, melt the remaining butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add the milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add cheese and stir until melted.
Pour over the ham mixture. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake, uncovered, at 375°F for 25-30 minutes or until heated through.