Rosemary, Mushroom and Salami Pizza with Garlic Béchamel Sauce
- For Garlic Bechamel:
- 3 cups of milk
- 1 1/2 sticks of butter, cut into small chunks
- 3 1/2 tablespoons of flour
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- For Pizza:
- pre-made pizza dough or Naan
- 1/2 cup of garlic béchamel sauce
- Finely chopped mushrooms of your choice. I used about 12 mixed mushrooms including Shiitake, Oyster, Chanterelle, Bunapi and Royal Trumpet.
- Five slices of large diameter salami
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- A small sprinkle of mozzarella cheese
- Sprinkle of coarse black pepper and coarse sea salt
- Sprinkle of coarse shredded aged parmesan cheese for garnish
Adapted from crateandbarrel.com
Heat one cup of milk and the butter over a low heat until the butter is just melting. Be careful not to let the milk boil.
In a medium bowl, combine flour and two cups of milk. Then add a quarter of the warm milk and butter mixture and stir. This will raise the temperature. Tip the mix back into the saucepan with the remaining milk and butter.
Continue heating the mixture over low heat until it reaches about 180 degrees. You don’t want it to boil, so stir only until it becomes fairly warm and thick. Remove from the heat.
Add crushed garlic and stir until combined. Set aside to cool. Use immediately or refrigerate for up to four days in an airtight container.
Spread the béchamel sauce over your pizza dough. Top with salami and sprinkle with rosemary, mozzarella, a little coarse sea salt and coarse black pepper.
Preheat oven with rack and pizza stone on the bottom to 450. Place pizza on a piece of parchment paper and using a peel, slip onto preheated stone. Bake for 8-10 minutes until cheese is browned and sauce is bubbling.