SLOW-COOKER WILD RICE SOUP
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped (1 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped (1 cup)
- 3/4 cup uncooked wild rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 small sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 chicken breast halves with bone (about 2 1/4 pounds total)
- 3 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup snipped fresh parsley
- Ground black pepper
In a 4- to 4 1/2-quart slow cooker, combine carrots, celery, wild rice, onion, rosemary, bay leaves, lemon peel, and the 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Top with chicken breast halves. Pour chicken broth over all.
Cover; cook on low heat setting for 6 to 6 1/2 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 hours. Remove chicken and cool slightly. Discard rosemary sprig and bay leaves.
Cut chicken from bone; discard bones. Chop chicken and return to soup along with parsley. Season to taste with additional pepper.