Pepper Corn Chowder
Meals under $3- Hearth healthy
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 leek, cleaned and chopped
- 5 cups loose-pack frozen whole kernel corn
- 2 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium red sweet pepper, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 threads saffron (optional)
- Snipped fresh chives and/or ground black pepper (optional)
Coat a 4- to 5-quart Dutch oven with nonstick cooking spray. Heat over medium heat about 1 minute. Add onion and leek; cook about 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
Add corn. Cook about 5 minutes or until corn softens, stirring occasionally. Add 1 can of the chicken broth. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes or until the corn is very tender. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
Transfer half the corn mixture to a blender or food processor; cover and blend or process until smooth. Return the pureed corn mixture to mixture in the Dutch oven.
Add the remaining 1 can broth, the sweet pepper, 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, cayenne pepper, and, if desired, saffron. Heat through. If desired, garnish with snipped fresh chives and/or additional ground black pepper.