- 4 to 4 1/4 cups bread flour
- 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups water
- 3 Tbl. sugar
- 2 Tbl. vegetable oil
- 1 Tbl. instant yeast
- 1 tsp. salt
1. Mix together bread flour, water, sugar, vegetable oil, yeast and salt in a large bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. (Start at the low end of flour and water. The dough should be smooth and slightly sticky. Add more water if it's too dry, or more flour it's too sticky.) Mix at low speed 8 minutes, repositioning dough as needed. Mix at a medium-low speed of about 8 minutes. With fingers floured, pinch off a walnut-size piece, then flatten and very gently stretch until slightly translucent. If it tears right away, continue to knead in a mixer.
2. Transfer dough to an extra-large bowl coated with cooking spray. Cover with a damp kitchen towel. Let rise at room temperature until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Punch down dough and put on a clean work surface. Cut dough into 8 equal pieces (4 oz. each). Pat out each piece into a 1/4 inch thick rectangle. Starting at the long end, roll rectangle into a tight log. Then roll back and forth to lengthen to 14 inches. Hold 1 end of the log in your palm. Loop the other end around your hand, overlapping ends by 1 to 2 inches. Press and roll onto the work surface with the heel of your hand to seal. Gently reposition bagel so the seam is on bottom and dough is evenly distributed in a circle. Repeat with remaining dough pieces.
4. Bring 4 qts. water to a boil in an 8 qt. pot. Add 1/2 cup honey or 3 Tbl. sugar (Boiling the bagels provides a chewy outer crust. The honey browns the bagels as they bake.) Boil bagels 2 at a time until they puff, 30 seconds per side. Remove bagels with a slotted spoon and transfer to a parchment paper lined baking sheet, seam sides down.
5. Sprinkle wet bagels with desired toppings. (Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese, Everything Bagel spice, or sweetened flaked coconut and brown sugar) Bake until bagels are golden brown, 12 to 14 minutes. Let cool. Slice and serve with desired spreads.