Jam Preserves, Made Easy
- 3 pounds fruit (see options below) cut into 1" chunks if large, stone fruit pitted
- 1 1/2 pounds sugar (3 1/3 cups)
- Coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Mixed Berry: 1 pound each raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries.
- Peach: 3 pounds white or yellow peaches, peeled (optional)
- Peach-Plum: 1 1/2 pounds each peaches, peeled, and plums
- Plum: 3 pounds plums
- Raspberries: 3 pounds raspberries
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from marthastewart.com
1. Stir together fruit, sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large heavy-bottomed pot.
2. Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved and mashing fruit with a potato masher.
3. Add lemon juice; continue to boil, stirring frequently, until bubbles slow, chunks of fruit show at top, and mixture clings to a spoon but falls off in clumps, 10 to 12 minutes.
4. Skim foam from top.
5. Ladle jam into clean containers, leaving 3/4" of headroom.
6. Let cool completely. Cover, label and refrigerate up to 1 month, or freeze up to 1 year.