Penne with Vodka Sauce
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 (28 oz) can whole peeled tomatoes with juice
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/3 cup vodka
- coarse salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 lb penne
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
1. In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and their juices, breaking tomatoes up with a wooden spoon.
2. Stir in tomato paste, sugar, vodka and 3/4 cup water; season with salt. Simmer over med. heat, stirring occasionally, until sauce has thickened, 20-25 min. Stir in cream; cook just until heated through (do not boil).
3. Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large 5 qt pot of boiling salted water until al dente, according to pkg directions. Drain and return to pot.
4. Add sauce to pasta and toss to combine. Serve immediately, sprinkled with parmesan.