Succulent Pork Belly Roast Stuffed with Sweet and Tangy Apple & Sage Stuffing
This pork belly roast is not only delicious and comforting, but it also has serious wow-factor and will impress your guests to no end.
- for the apple stuffing:
- 4 granny smith apples, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 T apple cider vinegar
- 2 T fresh sage, chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- for the pork belly:
- 1.5 kg (3.31 pounds) pork belly
- salt & pepper (I used smoked salt)
- 2 T olive oil
- 4 red onions, quartered
- handful fresh sage leaves
Adapted from simply-delicious-food.com
Pre-heat the oven to 200°c.
To make the apple stuffing, fry the apples and onion in a splash of olive oil until golden brown.
Add the garlic and sage and allow to fry for another minute before adding the apple cider vinegar.
Season to taste and set aside.
Season the pork belly and place the apple stuffing on one edge (lay the pork belly on the counter in front of you). Carefully roll the pork belly and secure with string.
Any left-over stuffing can be placed around the pork belly with the red onions in the roasting tray.
Drizzle the pork belly with olive oil and season with more salt and pepper.
Place the pork belly in the oven.
Allow to roast for 30 minutes at 200°c before turning down the heat to 160°c. Allow to roast for another 2 hours. (I like to check the belly every 30 minutes or so to make sure the onions and apples aren’t burning. If it seems like the roasting dish is too dry, you can add a cup of water/apple juice)
After 2 hours, remove the belly from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes before carving and serving with the caramelised apples and onions from the roasting tray.
You'll also love
- Bacon Wrapped Filet with Bleu... 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- How to Make Pork Sausage Out Of... 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Chipotle Black Bean Stuffed... 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Cheesy Potatoes 4.2/5 (40 Votes)
- Bourbon Peaches and Cream Popsicles 4.5/5 (19 Votes)
- Watermelon Jelly 4.1/5 (17 Votes)
- Cake Mix Applesauce Cookies 4.6/5 (8 Votes)