Grilled Chicken Teriyaki Kabobs
Anything grilled is always good! These chicken teriyaki kabobs are easy to make and sticks of deliciousness!
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 small green bell peppers, diced into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 small red bell peppers, diced into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large yellow onion, diced into 1 1/2 inch wedges
- 3 heaping cups fresh pineapple, diced into 1 1/2 inch chunks
- 3/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 Tbsp orange marmalade
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 2 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
In a mixing bowl, whisk together soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, light-brown sugar, honey, orange marmalade, molasses, grated ginger, garlic and pepper. Reserve 1 cup of sauce mixture in a bowl in refrigerator and pour remaining sauce over diced chicken in a large ziploc bag. Seal bag and place bag in a bowl (to prevent leaks) in refrigerator and allow chicken to marinate 4 hours in refrigerator.
To prepare glaze, pour reserved 1 cup sauce into a small saucepan. In a small bowl, whisk together 1 Tbsp cold water and cornstarch, then pour cornstarch mixture into saucepan and stir. Bring sauce just to a boil over medium high heat, stirring frequently. Once mixture reaches a boil, reduce heat and allow to gently boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
To prepare kabobs, using either metal skewers or water soaked wood skewers, thread a piece of marinated chicken (discard marinade), followed by an onion wedge, a chunk of red pepper, a chunk of green pepper and a chunk of pineapple, then repeat pattern twice and finish with an additional piece of chicken (I fit 4 pieces of chicken on the kebab total then 3 of everything else).
Grill kebabs over medium heat, 12 - 16 minutes rotating once halfway through grilling, until chicken has fully cooked through. Remove from grill and brush kebabs with teriyaki sauce, serve warm with cooked white or brown rice if desired