Spinach Mandarin Poppy Seed Salad
A refreshing, tasty salad mix of spinach, romaine, avocado, mandarin, onion, cheese, and bacon drizzled with a homemade poppy seed dressing.
- POPPY SEED DRESSING:
- 8 ounces spinach
- 2 to 3 romaine hearts, chopped
- 2 avocados, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 8 to 10 mandarin oranges, peeled and segmented with knife
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- handful swiss or gruyere, shredded
- 8 to 10 slices bacon, cooked until crisp and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon stone ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
To make the dressing, whisk to combine vinegar, mustard, and sugar in a small bowl. Slowly stream in the oil while whisking constantly to emulsify. Whisk in the poppy seeds and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
In a large serving bowl combine the spinach, romaine, avocado, orange, onion, cheese, and bacon. Drizzle with the dressing. Toss and serve.